Visapur fort situated at an altitude of 4,000 ft above from sea level in Lonavala. Visapur fort built during 1713-1720 CE by Balaji Vishwanath. Visapur Fort is larger and higher elevation than its twin fort. This fort situated to the east of Lohagad fort, and it has a massive plateau surrounding it. This fort is famous for its defensive walls with elaborate designs. These walls and designs have remained in good shapes even after facing centuries of torrential rains. Visapur have a real trekking expedition to reach this historical fort. In 1818, when sinking the Peshwa's forts, the strength of Lohagad and its fame as the reserves of the Maratha kingdom, cause the English to make special preparations for its attack. A lack of involvement with 380 European and 800 native soldiers, among a battering train, summoned from Konkan, were joined by armaments from Chakan, and two other British battalions On 4 March,1818 Visapur was attacked and occupied Lohagarh fort is 7kms south of Malavali station on the Pune-Mumbai railway line. Situated on a wide range of Sahyadri mountains, if divides the basins of Indrayani and Pavana riverssecure to Lohagarh, on its eastern side, there is another fort, called Visapur.
The approach to Lohagarh is from the village Lohadwadi, situated in the despair between Lohagarh and Visapur. Climbing from the north towards the village, one can see on the left side the famous Buddhist caves of Bhaja. The four large gats of Lohagarh are very intricately arrange and are still unbroken. In the later Peshwa period, Nana Fadanis (1742-1800 AD) construct several structures in the fort including a big tank and a step-well (bawali). There is also a small temple and vital of a muslim pir. On the west side of the fort there is a long and narrow wall like equipped urge called Vinchukata in Marathi because of its natural shape. Visapur Fort is larger and higher than Lohgarh fort. Now in ruins, its history is very closely link with that of Lohagarh. Making use of its higher position, the British troops in 1818 AD set up their canons on Visapur and bombard Lohagarh, forcing the Marathas to leave the fort. Lohagarh has a long history. It occupied by many dynasties like Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas,Bahamanis, Nizamshahis, Mughals and Maarathas. Shivaji captured Lohagarh in 1648 AD but by the Treaty of Purandar he had to surrender it to the Mughals in 1665 AD.
Then it recaptured by Shivaji in 1670 AD and used for keeping the treasury. Then on, the fort remained with the Marathas. Ultimately, Lohagarh-Visapur taken over by the British in 1818 AD Nearby Attractions of visapur are Vinchu Kata, Pawana Dam, Tunga And Tikona fort. The fort guard's house in the forest at the center is in shell. On the right hand side can still see the gun battlement. This battlement is made of copper. Unfortunately, it is missing today. There is a pass of 1-15 furlongs between Visapur and Lohagad forts. This semicircular pass can see through from the railway bridge at Lonavala Station. According to a legend, a brave woman is supposed to have crossed this valley on a rope.
History has it that an English officer by the name of Mr. Rye stayed in this place for a considerable amount of time, earning it the name Ryewood Park. The name of this beautifully landscaped and thickly wooded beautiful garden may also have its roots in the local language Marathi, wherein 'rai' means thick forest.